Police outside Barcelona, Spain shot and killed a man wearing a potentially explosive belt, according to the regional authorities involved in the incident Monday.
Law enforcement officials in Subirats, Spain opened fire while investigating a “suspicious person” in the small town about 28 miles west of Barcelona.
Catalan police added that a bomb disposal robot was then dispatched to approach the suspect after the confrontation.
La Vanguardia newspaper that the man shot was Younes Abouyaaquob, 22, who has been the target of a global manhunt since last week’s bloodshed in Barcelona.
Authorities said Monday they have evidence that Abouyaaquob drove a van that plowed into people in Barcelona’s Las Ramblas district last Thursday.
The attack in the popular tourist area killed 13 people and injured more than 120 others before sparking a massive search for the perpetrators.
Authorities said Abouyaaquob is also suspected of carjacking and stabbing him to death as he fled Barcelona following last week’s attack there.
The death would raise the death toll in Barcelona and a related attack nearby hours later to 15 people.
Another vehicle attack in Cambrils last Friday killed one person and wounded several others in the town near Barcelona.
Regional police chief Josep Lluis Trapero said earlier Monday that investigators have “scientific evidence” that Abouyaaquob drove the van used in last week’s deadly attack.
Trapero added that Abouyaaquob then walked through Barcelona for about 90 minutes after the van attack before hijacking a car.
Abouyaaquob next allegedly stabbed the car’s driver, put him in the car’s rear seats and then drove away.
The victim was reportedly dead when Abouyaaquob rammed the vehicle through a police checkpoint minutes later and they opened fire on the car.
Trapero noted that Abouyaaquob escaped the scene and has since not returned to his home in Ripoll.
Abouyaaquob, who was born in Morocco but has Spanish residency, has been the focus of a major pursuit since last week.
Catalonia regional police have said a 12-member extremist cell instigated the attacks in Spain last week.
The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the strikes in Barcelona and Cambrils.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.