WEST WARWICK, R.I. (CIRCA) — It's been 16 years since 100 people lost their lives at the Station nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island, when a fire broke out during a Great White performance.
More than 100 others were injured when pyrotechnics from the rock band's set went off inside the club, sparking a fire that quickly spread through the building on Feb. 20, 2003. According to the National Fire Protection Association, it's the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history.
The fire would have major implications on laws moving forward; regulations around sprinkler systems would become more stringent in the years to come. In the aftermath, many people went to prison, including the band's tour manager and one of the club's owners.
Indiana firefighters battle a fire in minus-22 degree cold
Brrrrrravery in action: Firefighters battle freezing temperatures while fighting blazes
This little boy is getting a hero's treatment after pointing out a fire at a children's hospital