HAGERSTOWN, Md. (ABC7) — A 2-year-old girl died early Sunday morning after a fire in her babysitter's home.
The girl was located by firefighters in the basement after responding to the home around 1 a.m., the Maryland State Fire Marshal said. She was transported to Meritus Medical Center in Hagerstown, where she was pronounced dead.
Three adults found outside the home by responding firefighters told them that the girl was still inside the home, possibly in the basement. where she was found.
Preliminary reports have identified the home is owned by James and Beth Clopein. Both James and Beth, along with their daughter Dana Clopein, 29, were the three adults who made it out of the home.
Dana was babysitting the 2-year-old girl.
Dana, who discovered the fire in the basement, tried to extinguish it, along with her father before they were overcome by heavy smoke, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said.
Fire officials said the one-alarm fire brought 30 firefighters to the scene, which took around 15 minutes to contain. The fire did not spread to other parts of the home.
The fire was contained to the basement; the rest of the home suffered minor smoke damage.