(KUTV) -- A blog post on Wednesday announced that Lyft is giving $1.5 million in free rides to attendees in March for Our Lives demonstrations across the country, including Salt Lake City, which take place Saturday.
The movement led by student organizers from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which was the site of one of the nation’s deadliest school massacres on Valentine's Day, is being supported by Lyft Co-Founders John Zimmer and Logan Green, who shared their support by sending a letter that offers the free Lyft rides.
“Your bravery and intelligence have provided a renewed and much-needed hope for our future. We are incredibly grateful for the example you are setting,” they wrote in the letter to the students.
Lyft outlined how the free rides are being offered and in what states:
How it will work:
• If you are attending one of the 50 marches listed below, claim your free ride by RSVPing to the rally at www.marchforourlives.com/events.
• On Friday, March 23, ride codes will be distributed to those who have RSVP’d through www.marchforourlives.com/events.
• If you aren’t able to RSVP, ride codes to these marches will be available at www.lyft.com/MFOL starting Saturday morning.
• Once you have received a code, enter it in the ‘promos’ tab of your Lyft app.
1. For the code to work, you must enter the official March for Our Lives rally point as your destination. You’ll find rally point details in your app once you enter your code in the ‘promos’ tab.
2. Anyone riding who is under 18 will need to be accompanied by an adult.
3. Lyft is only able to support free rides up to $1.5 million, so it’s important to RSVP ahead of time to get a code before that commitment is met.
Marches where free Lyft rides are available:
Phoenix , AZ
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA
San Diego, CA
San Jose, CA
Miami Beach, FL
Des Moines, IA
New Orleans, LA
St. Louis, MO
Las Vegas, NV
New York City (Manhattan), NY
San Antonio, TX
Salt Lake City, UT