Cereal is to breakfast as mimosas are to brunch.
It's National Cereal Day, which means it's time to break out the big spoon and that box of Fruity Pebbles you've been eyeing at the grocery store for the past six weeks.
The folks over at Kellogg's have come up with a few cereal-inspired DIY recipes for those looking to spruce up the breakfast staple.
Circa got a look at some of these Instagram-worthy creations at Kellogg's Café in New York for their National Cereal Day Eve soireé with special guest, singer Hailee Steinfeld.
The multi-platinum selling recording artist was also joined by Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam on the dance floor.
Meanwhile, partygoers were treated to cereal bites, cocktails, and a liquid nitrogen cereal bar.
Check out these fun recipes from Kellogg's #NationalCerealDay party that you can try at home with family and friends:
Loopy Kellogg’s® Froot Loops® Cocktail (or mocktail!)
Makes 3 cups
12 cups Kellogg®’s Froot Loops® cereal
4 cups sugar
4 cups boiling water
1 tsp red food coloring
Seltzer to top
Put the Kellogg®’s Froot Loops® and sugar in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the cereal. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Color with the red food coloring. Refrigerate. Build the soda in a clear cup - add syrup to the second line from the bottom (1 oz.). Top with seltzer.
Kellogg’s® Corn Pops® Corn Dogs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of black pepper
1/4 cup white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 pack all-beef hot dogs
8 oz. Kellogg’s® Corn Pops® cereal
Oil for frying
In a food processor, pulse Kellogg’s® Corn Pops® cereal until broken up, but not dusty. Reserve for later use. Combine flour, corn meal, salt, pepper, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl. Mix well. Combine egg and milk and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while whisking. When combined, you should have a thick batter. The consistency may be adjusted by adding more milk. Skewer the hot dogs the long way and dip into the batter. Allow excess to drip off for a few seconds. Roll the battered dogs in the crushed Kellogg’s® Corn Pops® until covered. Transfer immediately to a heavy skillet with neutral oil at 350 °F, and cook until batter has expanded and browned, about 3 mins. Turn over to cook the other side. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Serve immediately.
Kellogg’s® Froot Loops® Mini Cupcakes
Makes 5-6 cupcakes
For cupcakes:½ cup flour
⅛ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder⅛
2 TBSP butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
½ egg, beaten
¼ cup milk
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375° F. Put paper liners into muffin cups.
In a food processor, combine butter and sugar and whip until smooth. Add milk and mix until smooth. Sift flour, salt and baking powder until combined. Add to creamed butter, sugar and milk. Add vanilla extract and mix well. You can add rainbow sprinkles to the batter for a “funfetti” look. Pour batter into muffin cups and bake for 18 min.
For vanilla buttercream icing:
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
½ tsp milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 oz. Kellogg’s® Fruit Loops® cereal
In a mixer, add sugar and then butter. Beat until mixed, then add pinch of salt. Add milk and vanilla and beat for 3-5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Spread icing on cupcakes and top with pieces of Kellogg’s® Fruit Loops® cereal.
Confetti (inspired by Hailee Steinfeld)
1 ½ cps Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
Treat House Surprise Confetti Rice Krispies treat square
Yellow cake mix
For the Treat House Surprise Confetti Rice Krispies° Treat Squares (Yields 14 squares):
3 TBSP butter
10 oz. mini marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
3 oz. confetti sprinkles
12 oz. light blue chocolate (white chocolate dyed blue – or your favorite color!)
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan
2. Add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted; remove from heat
3. Add Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal; stir until combined
4. Scoop out onto buttered parchment or wax paper
5. With a rolling pin, roll into a 12” x 14” rectangle
6. Cut out squares using a 1.75+” square cookie cutter
7. You will get 42 crispy rice squares (7 squares x 6 squares)
8. Cut the center out of 14 crispy rice squares
9. Place the crispy rice square with cut-out center on top of a solid square
10. Carefully fill the square up with confetti sprinkles
11. Top with a solid crispy rice square
12. Place crispy rice squares that are filled with confetti onto a cooling grid
13. Melt the light blue chocolate in the microwave (25-second intervals) until it’s 3/4 melted. It will continue to melt as it sits.
14. Pour the light blue chocolate over the confetti/sprinkle filled square until it’s completely covered. Immediately top with more confetti sprinkles.
15. Remove from cooling grid and place on a sheet pan until the chocolate sets.
To assemble the bowl, top the Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal with the Confetti Treat. Shake with cake mix and serve with your favorite milk.
Strawberries & Champagne
1 ½ cups Kellogg’s® Special K® Original cereal
A shake of strawberry powder
8 pink champagne gummies
1 TBSP pink chocolate curls
To assemble the bowl, top the Kellogg’s® Special K® Original cereal with a few shakes of strawberry powder, gummy bears, and pink chocolate curls. Enjoy with strawberry milk (strawberry powder + milk)!
1 ½ cups Kellogg’s® Cocoa Krispies® cereal
5 silver meringue drops
1 TBSP gold confetti candy
2 TBSP whipped cream
For the Meringues – Yields 60 full-size or 120 mini meringues
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 40 mins, plus standing time
3 large egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
Dash of salt
2/3 cup sugar
Silver food color spray
1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 250°F. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
3. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #2 round tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe meringues that are 1/4-inch to ½ inch in diameter, placing them one-inch apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
4. Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour.
5. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper and spray with silver food color spray; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
To assemble the bowl, top the Kellogg’s® Cocoa Krispies® cereal with the silver meringue drops, gold confetti candy or sprinkles, and whipped cream.
1 ½ cups Unicorn Cereal
Cotton candy-flavored pop candy
To assemble the bowl, top the Unicorn cereal with your favorite store-bought or homemade Cotton Candy. Top with Cotton Candy flavored Pop Candy and serve with your favorite milk.