MOSES LAKE, Wash. (KOMO) - A woman suffered severe burns Saturday morning after gasoline fumes ignited when gas was being pumped into a garbage can in a car's backseat, the Grant County Sheriff's Office says.
Deputies later found a large amount of marijuana in the car's trunk. The woman was taken to Samaritan Healthcare in Moses Lake.
The male driver who was pumping the gas ran away.
The incident occurred just after 8 a.m. at the Cascade Grocery at 8034 Valley Road N.E.
The driver had been pumping gasoline into the garbage can in the backseat.
The woman, who was a passenger, was smoking a cigarette, which apparently ignited the fumes, the sheriff's office says.
A bystander took the woman to the hospital.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Grant County Sheriff’s Office at 509-762-1160 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Tipsters can remain anonymous.