FENTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Two years ago, a family of six were enjoying their day, when each one of them just fell to the floor.
Police say carbon monoxide poisoning took the lives of two parents and their four children, including a baby that was found in its crib.
The story doesn't end there though; family members are now helping others avoid the same tragedy.
The Quasarano family says they felt like they lost everything on the day their loved ones were taken away from them, but they credit a strong faith and community support for helping them push through.
Now on the two year anniversary, they're helping others who may be coping with the loss of a loved one too.
"I had breakfast with my son on a Friday, fully expecting to see him over the weekend, not knowing he'd be gone."
Phil Quasarano recalls the day he lost his son Leonard and daughter-in-law Heather, along with four young grandchildren.
"We went over there and literally broke into the house, you know kind of calling for them as we walked through the house,” said Phil and Laura Quasarano.
He remembers finding his grandson first and then the rest of the family, all unresponsive.
Later learning they died of carbon monoxide poisoning from the basement generator.
He says it was first responders who stepped in to give his family strength.
"He brought us all together and he prayed with us which was huge. That really was the first step in our healing honestly, right there and then,” said Quasarano.
After that, Phil and his wife Laura joined a grief share program at a church in Holly.
"The first time you go through, it’s just plain grief. I mean, just trying to process everything. The second time you go through, you're really trying to learn things and start picking up some of the important skills that you need to know and the things that help you get back on your feet," said Quasarano.
Feeling inspired, Phil and Laura started their own weekly grief share program at the Rock Church of Fenton.
"We get so much out of it, as others heal, you heal."
In addition, the family also supports the Q Project, an organization started by friends of Leonard and Heather, that partners with the Fenton Township Fire Department to hand out carbon monoxide detectors and raise awareness.
Yet in the midst of turning tragedy into activism, the family admits there's still grief.
"We have waves of grief, it still comes and probably always will and in some sense I don't want that to go away, it's that deep love."
For more information on The Q Project, click here.