The FBI revealed Friday that its Public Access Line received a tip about Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz last month, but protocols were not followed.
In a statement, FBI Director Christopher Wray said he is committed to getting to the bottom of what went wrong.
According to the FBI, the tip received on January 5 included references to Cruz’s gun ownership, his desire to kill people, erratic behavior, his social media posts, and specifically the potential that he may conduct a school shooting.
The information was not forwarded to the FBI's Miami field office and no further investigative action was taken at the time.
“We have spoken with the victims and families and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrible tragedy,” Wray said.
Cruz is facing 17 counts of premeditated murder following the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida on Wednesday.
The FBI had previously acknowledged receiving a tip about a YouTube comment by a "Nikolas Cruz" about wanting to be "a professional school shooter" in September, but investigators were unable to determine who posted it.
Following the announcement Friday, the FBI faced blistering criticism from Florida politicians. Sen. Marco Rubio called for a Senate investigation of the FBI's mishandling of the tip, while Florida Gov. Rick Scott demanded that Wray resign.