WASHINGTON (Sinclair Broadcast Group) — President Donald Trump issued a statement condemning "the despicable car bombing attack" in the Afghan capital of Kabul that killed 95 people and wounded at least 158 more.
In a statement issued hours after the attack, Trump called on all countries to "take decisive action" against the Taliban, which claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
"The Taliban’s cruelty will not prevail," the president said. "The United States is committed to a secure Afghanistan that is free from terrorists who would target Americans, our allies, and anyone who does not share their wicked ideology."
Trump said the "murderous attack" renews the resolve of the United States and its Afghan partners in securing the country.
The attack was carried out by a suicide bomber who drove an ambulance into a commercial area pretending to be carrying a patient. The attacker then detonated his explosives at a checkpoint near the European Union consulate.
The president followed up the official statement with a message on Twitter sending thoughts and prayers to the victims of the attack. He stated, "We will not allow the Taliban to win!"
Taliban targeted innocent Afghans, brave police in Kabul today. Our thoughts and prayers go to the victims, and first responders. We will not allow the Taliban to win!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 27, 2018
Earlier on Saturday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the Taliban's use of an ambulance as a weapon to target civilians "represents inhumane disregard for the people of Afghanistan."
Tillerson described the attack as "a violation of the most basic international norms."