The world’s largest and comprehensive collection of films is being stored in a cold war era bunker. The Packard campus for national audio and visual conservation is home to over 1.6 million items.
The library of congress acquires, restores, and preserves the collection at their packard campus in Culpepper, Virginia.
Some of the recordings are over 100 years old—dating back to 1891.
The building opened on December 10, 1969. The building was created during the Cold War era and the thought during that time was that a nuclear war would destroy the economy of the United States. The building was constructed as a bunker to house enough U.S. currency to replenish the cash supply east of the Mississippi River following a catastrophic event.
The library gets its items through the us copyright office or donations through private collectors.
There are special climate control vaults for nitrate films, which are highly flammable.
The building houses thousand of films that aren't available anywhere else in the world.
The library of congress posts a registry to their website every year of the best films that American history.