Twitter on Monday suspended the account of a far-right British activist who recently gained notoriety after President Trump re-tweeted her, according to The Washington Post.
The Post on Monday reported that Jayda Fransen’s Twitter account was among several that went offline as part of the company’s efforts to reduce hateful content that morning.
Fransen is the deputy of Britain First, a far-right group in the U.K. whose main Twitter account also went dark Monday.
Paul Golding, who is Britain First’s leader, also had his Twitter account shuttered during the social media platform’s actions.
Twitter’s new rules stipulate that “violent extremist groups” will be barred from having accounts on the network.
The guidelines target accounts that specifically urge violence against individuals, for example, or those who do so against ethnic or other social groups.
Twitter will determine which groups meet its definition of violent extremist groups by consulting governments, nonprofit organizations and other experts.
The company will suspend any account that promotes violence against someone, with the length of the freeze based on the user’s past behavior.
Twitter may suspend some accounts temporarily and others permanently, with users who break the rules having an initial chance to fix their accounts before they are halted.
Trump last month re-tweeted three videos from Fransen’s account purporting to show Muslims engaged in violent acts.
One clip was called “Muslim migrant beats up Dutch boy on crutches,” while another was labeled “Muslim destroys a statue of Virgin Mary!”
The third video was named “Islamist mob pushes teenage boy off roof and beats him to death,” and all three were presented without context.
The Dutch embassy last month said that the clip about a “Muslim migrant” featured a perpetrator born and raised in the Netherlands.
Trump’s re-tweets prompted backlash on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean, with some British lawmakers calling for his state visit to the U.K. to be scrapped.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders last month defended Trump re-tweeting the videos, arguing they showed the need for securing U.S. borders.
“I’m not talking about the nature of the video,” she told reporters at the White House. “I think you’re focusing on the wrong thing,”
“The threat is real and that is what the president is talking about,” Huckabee Sanders added. “Those is very real things. There is nothing fake about that.”