<img height="1" width="1" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=769125799912420&amp;ev=PageView &amp;noscript=1">
ADVERTISEMENT
About Our People Legal Stuff
Manhattan Explosion Report

Authorities have identified the suspect in Monday's explosion in New York City

0
Updated December 11, 2017 10:02 AM EST

Officials identified Akayed Ullah, 27, as the suspect in Monday morning's explosion in New York City.

The explosion was a terror-related incident, NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said. New York Mayor Bill de Blasio called the incident an attempted terrorist attack.

"Thank God the perpetrator did not achieve his ultimate goals," de Blasio said.

The device used in the explosion was a credely-made pipe bomb, officials said.

Three people suffered minor life-threatening injuries, and the suspect was also injured and taken into custody. The suspect suffered burns on his abdomen and hands.

Law enforcement officials said Ullah was inspired by the Islamic State but had not had any direct contact with the group.

Ullah came to the U.S. from Bangladesh about seven years ago and lives in Brooklyn, officials said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Updated December 11, 2017 08:40 AM EST

Police sources told WABC that a possible pipe bomb detonating in a passageway below ground caused Monday morning's explosion.

The FDNY on Monday said that there was one non-life-threatening injury from the blast, and the suspect was reportedly a man in his 20s who was badly injured but still alive.

Authorities confirmed that the bomb squad is searching for a potential second device, which is normal procedure after such an explosion.

Multiple law enforcement officials on Monday told 4 New York that the person in custody appears to be the only individual hurt in the incident, adding that the person's injuries did not seem life-threatening.

Witnesses said that it smelled like a firecracker had gone off after the incident, and the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force has since responded.

President Trump has additionally been briefed on the situation, which prompted a call for multiple ambulances and the evacuation of several train lines.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal is America's largest bus terminal and the busiest of its kind worldwide, according to the agency.

Updated December 11, 2017 08:37 AM EST

The New York City Police Department confirmed that "one male suspect" is in custody, and that there are "no injuries other than suspect at this time."

Updated December 11, 2017 08:35 AM EST

The New York City Fire Department confirmed one "non-life-threatening injury" at the scene of Monday's explosion.

An explosion was reported on Monday near New York City’s Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The explosion sent early morning commuters in the area scrambling.

The New York Police Department on Monday said that it is investigating the incident, adding that it had cleared out the A, C and E subway lines sitting beneath the building.

The alleged blast also closed the 1, 2 and 3 subway lines and locked down the area around the bus depot, which sits between West 40th and West 42nd Streets and Eighth and Ninth Avenues.

The bus terminal services commuter buses from New Jersey plus long-distance versions like Greyhound and Peter Pan, hosting on average 250,000 passengers daily.

Police on Monday told PIX 11 that at lease one person was injured and another was detained after “some type of explosion” in a Manhattan subway.

Sources told PIX 11 that a man with a “possible second device” had been detained in a subway tunnel, and he was described as “having wires coming out of him.”

Police confirmed to PIX 11 that one person had been detained, and New York City’s Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) said it made changes to its services.

The MTA reported that multiple trains are now avoiding Times Square and Port Authority in response to the incident.

The Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 7 trains – and their N, Q, R, and W counterparts – are bypassing Times Square-42nd Street in both directions.

ADVERTISEMENT

The A, C and E Subway trains are shunning 42nd Street and the Port Authority Bus Terminal in both directions.

The MTA added that there is no South 42nd Street shuttle service in both directions following the blast.

Bill de Blasio’s (D) office on Monday tweeted that New York City’s mayor and his team had been briefed on the event in Midtown.

De Blasio’s office added that NYPD, New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and first responders were all on the scene of the incident.

Comments
Read Comments
Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark