Former “Access Hollywood” host Billy Bush says controversial footage of President Trump lewdly discussing women on the NBC show is authentic.
“He said it,” he wrote in a New York Times op-ed published Sunday. “’Grab ‘em by the p---y.’ Of course he said it.”
“Along with Donald Trump and me, there were seven other guys present on the bus at the time, and every single one of us assumed we were listening to a crass standup act,” Bush continued of the 2005 incident.
“President Trump is currently indulging in some revisionist history, reportedly telling allies, including at least one United States senator, that the voice on the tape is not his. This has hit a raw nerve with me.”
The New York Times last month reported that Trump told a senator earlier this year that the infamous tape of him may not be authentic.
The newspaper also reported that Trump recently repeated that claim to an adviser, despite the president previously acknowledging his voice appears in the footage.
Bush’s op-ed comes over a year after the tape was leaked during the 2016 presidential campaign.
Trump publicly apologized for the comments last year, but he also sought to downplay them as “locker room talk” between men.
Bush was fired from his role at NBC shortly after the tape’s release, and he has largely stayed out of the public eye since.
Comedian Stephen Colbert on Monday will host Bush on CBS’s “The Late Show,” where he could potentially answer questions about the recording.
NBC made Bush a co-host of the third hour of “Today” in May 2016 before firing him five months later once the “Access Hollywood” footage emerged.
Soap star Arianne Zucker - who greeted Trump on the tape but was not present for his controversial remarks – said last month she does not know how the clip could be fabricated.
“I don’t know how else that could be fake unless someone’s planting words in your mouth,” she said on CNN.
“How do you apologize for something and renege on it?” Zucker asked host Anderson Cooper. “It’s puzzling to me.”