<img height="1" width="1" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=769125799912420&amp;ev=PageView &amp;noscript=1">
ADVERTISEMENT
About Our People Legal Stuff
Charlie Rose

CBS fired Charlie Rose following accusations of sexual misconduct

0
Updated November 21, 2017 01:04 PM EST

CBS News President David Rhodes issued a statement on the firing of Charlie Rose.

"I've often heard that things used to be different. And no one may be able to correct the past. But what may once have been accepted should not ever have been acceptable," Rhodes said.

Updated November 21, 2017 12:43 PM EST

CBS has fired Charlie Rose after eight women alleged that the longtime host sexually harassed them, the Associated Press reported.

CBS had previously suspended the "CBS This Morning" anchor and "60 Minutes" contributor.

Gayle King and Norah O'Donnell, Rose's co-hosts on "CBS This Morning," were critical of Rose on Tuesday.

"I'm clearly on the side of the women who have been very hurt and damaged by this," King said.

Eight women have alleged that longtime TV host Charlie Rose sexually harassed them, The Washington Post reported Monday.

They accuse Rose, 75, of various acts of sexual misconduct, including inappropriate phone calls, walking around naked and groping their bodies.

Rose, whose namesake show airs on PBS, is also a co-host on "CBS This Morning" and a correspondent on "60 Minutes."

Both networks have since taken action against the journalist; PBS said it is immediately halting distribution of his program and CBS News has suspended him.

The women, three of whom agreed to speak on the record, were either employed or looking to be employed on the "Charlie Rose" show at the time of the misconduct.

They were between the ages of 21 and 37 when the advances took place; the Post spoke with friends or family members of all the women who were able to corroborate their statements.

“In my 45 years in journalism, I have prided myself on being an advocate for the careers of the women with whom I have worked,” Rose said in a statement to The Post. “Nevertheless, in the past few days, claims have been made about my behavior toward some former female colleagues.

“It is essential that these women know I hear them and that I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior. I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken."

ADVERTISEMENT

The report comes as several in media and politics face allegations of sexual misconduct. Sen. Al Franken of Minnesota, Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore and New York Times reporter Glenn Thrush are just a few of the figures grappling to recover from related accusations.

Related: Here are the most powerful men called out by the #metoo movement

Here are the most powerful men called out by the #metoo movement

Comments
Read Comments
Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark