Christmas season is approaching and workers at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center are working hard to bring ICE! - one of the area’s most popular holiday attractions to life.
This year, the 15,000-square-foot interactive indoor exhibit features Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
Circa's Kay Angrum and Mike Vanzetta visited to get a behind-the-scenes look at the sculpting process as workers from around the world carve blocks of ice into works of art.
The 9-degree walk-through attraction features 13 scenes of more than two million pounds of hand-carved ice sculptures including everyone’s favorite characters – Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Hermey the Elf, Bumble the Abominable Snow Monster and more.
Here are some fun-facts about ICE! by the numbers:
- 2 Million + Total pounds of ice used to create ICE! featuring Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- 6,000 Number of ice blocks
- Nearly 400 lbs. Total weight of each ice block before it is hand-carved
- 14 Number of different colors of ice used in the attraction
- 1,500+ Number of specially designed light tubes that are frozen within the ice
- 12 Number of scenes carved for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- 9 degrees Average temperature inside the attraction
- Nearly 2 stories Height of the tallest ICE! slides
- 15,000 Total square feet of the "cold room" structure specially built for the attraction
- 35 Number of Artisans that travel to Gaylord National Resort from Harbin, China
- 30 Number of days it takes to carve the ice and build the attraction
ICE! is open daily from November 18, 2017 through January 1, 2018 at Gaylord National Harbor. You can also check it out at other Gaylord Hotels near Nashville, Dallas, and Orlando. Tickets cost and hours information can be found at www.ChristmasOnThePotomac.com.