A driverless shuttle that was intended to transport travelers around Las Vegas got into an accident less than two hours after it launched, according to The International Business Times.
The IB Times on Wednesday reported that Las Vegas officials had held a ceremony earlier that day unveiling the vehicle, which is thought to be the first of its kind in the U.S.
“The autonomous shuttle was testing today when it was grazed by a delivery truck downtown,” the city said in a Tumblr post after the incident.
“The shuttle did what it was supposed to do, in that its sensors registered the truck and the shuttle stopped to avoid the accident,” the post continued.
“Unfortunately, the delivery truck did not stop and grazed the front fender of the shuttle. Had the truck had the same sensing equipment that the shuttle had, the accident would have been avoided.”
The Las Vegas Review-Journal on Wednesday reported that the city’s Metropolitan Police Department said the human driver of the other vehicle was at fault.
Officers responded at 12:07 p.m. local time to an accident involving the shuttle and the truck on the 100 block of South Sixth Street near Fremont Street.
Authorities determined that the shuttle came to a stop when it sensed the truck was attempting to back up.
The truck continued moving backwards, however, until its tires bumped the shuttle and caused minor damage.
The truck’s driver was cited for illegal backing, according to law officers, and no one was hurt during the dustup.
The shuttle was launched to offer free rides for up to 11 passengers while traveling a half-mile loop in the Fremont East neighborhood.
The craft, which is all-electric, can communicate with traffic signals and share the road with other vehicles while remaining aware of pedestrians.
“Testing of the shuttle will continue during the 12-month pilot in the downtown Innovation District,” the city said of the shuttle’s future.
California will soon test driverless shuttles on its public roads.