President Trump’s administration will let refugee admissions into the U.S. from all countries resume, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The Journal on Tuesday reported that the move will include new rules aimed at better vetting refugees applying to enter America, however.
Administration officials told The Journal that the White House plans on announcing the resumption of refugee admissions and at least some of the new rules on Tuesday.
Officials said the administration would collect more biographical data from refugees, including the names of their family members and places of past employment.
The administration will also examine social media posts to determine whether they are consistent with the stories in refugees’ admission applications.
One source added that officials who do screenings at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) agency will be given better training and new guidelines.
The moves are aimed at helping officials at the agency – which is part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) – better detect fraud in admission applicants.
The refugee program was put on hold in June for 120 days as part of Trump’s larger travel ban aimed at stopping terrorism on U.S. soil.
The 120-day free expires Tuesday, and the subsequent new order will allow refugee admissions to restart for all countries.
A person familiar with the planning, however, noted that people from 11 targeted nations will be subject to extra vetting procedures that will slow down the process for them.
Trump’s administration has previously announced it is limiting the number of refugee admissions to 45,000 people for the 2018 fiscal year.
The total is down from Trump’s previous 50,000 people figure for the 2017 fiscal year, and some administration officials have pushed for the benchmark to be even lower.