Former Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly allegedly paid $32 million to settle a sexual harassment claim just before he signed his last contract with Fox News, according to The New York Times.
New York Times reported on Saturday that O’Reilly made a settlement to Lis Wiehl, a regular contributor to his program, who claimed that O’Reilly forced her into a nonconsensual sexual relationship and sent her sexually explicit material.
A representative Fox News parent 21st Century Fox told The Los Angeles Times that they knew about the settlement that was made in January.
“When the company renewed Bill O'Reilly's contract in February, it knew that a sexual harassment lawsuit had been threatened against him by Lis Wiehl, but was informed by Mr. O'Reilly that he had settled the matter personally, on financial terms that he and Ms. Wiehl had agreed were confidential and not disclosed to the company,” the representative told the Los Angeles Times.
The settlement was made right before O’Reilly signed a new four-year contract to host his program “The O’Reilly Factor” for an annual salary of $25 million, according to the LA Times.