North Korea has threatened to stage an “unimaginable” attack on the U.S., according to USA Today.
USA Today on Thursday reported that the warning marks the latest escalation in tensions between the U.S. and North Korea over Pyongyang’s pursuit of nuclear weapons.
“The U.S. is running amok by introducing under our nose the targets we have set as primary ones,” North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said Thursday.
“The U.S. should expect it would face [an] unimaginable strike at an unimaginable time,” KCNA added.
The “targets” under North Korea’s nose reference the joint U.S. and South Korean military drills currently taking place off the waters of the Korean Peninsula.
The military exercises run through Oct. 26 and include the USS Ronald Reagan, an American aircraft carrier.
Diplomats from Japan, South Korea and the U.S. met in Seoul on Wednesday to discuss the response to North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.
Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan on Wednesday said that the U.S. sees diplomacy as the primary way of solving the crisis, but added that America must be ready for “any eventuality.”
North Korea conducted its sixth – and most powerful – nuclear test last month after firing two intercontinental missiles in July.
President Trump has taken to calling North Korean leader Kim Jong Un “Rocket Man” amid rising tensions between Pyongyang and Washington, D.C.
North Korea has long vowed to acquire nuclear weapons and use them against other nations it perceives as enemies.
Trump last month vowed during his first speech at the United Nations (U.N.) General Assembly that he would “totally destroy” North Korea if it keeps threatening the U.S. or its allies.
North Korea’s recent weapons test are meant to show its progress at acquiring arms capable of hitting the U.S.