A Halloween display in Las Vegas seemingly referencing a recent mass shooting there has been taken down, according to The Las Vegas Review-Journal.
The Review-Journal on Wednesday reported that the creation at a home in northern Las Vegas near Aliante Parkway and West Elkhorn Road was deconstructed the same day.
A photo posted on Facebook late Tuesday showed a fake cemetery with 58 headstones, one for each of the victims killed during the Oct. 1 attack.
In-ground floodlights illuminated the display, and a large #vegasstrong banner that stretched across a wall behind the home’s stones remained up Wednesday afternoon.
Neither of the two people on property records as the home’s owners could be reached by phone for comment.
The Review-Journal reported that multiple attempts it made at communicating with either individual were fruitless.
“I drive past this every day and when they first put it up, it touched my heart,” said neighborhood resident Guy Becnel, who interpreted it as a tribute to the attack’s victims.
Alina Tril, another neighborhood resident, said she was unsettled by the display but did not think it was meant to be offensive due to the encouraging banner.
“I drove in here and it just caught my eye and I just kept staring at it,” she said. “I just parked my car and just tried to understand what their intentions were.”
Gunman Stephen Paddock was found dead earlier this month after committing the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Paddock opened fire on an outdoor concert from his hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.
The attack killed at least 58 people and wounded at least 500 others, sparking fierce national debate over gun control.