President Trump on Tuesday announced that his nominee for drug czar, Rep. Tom Marino (R-PA), had withdrawn from consideration amid backlash over a report that detailed his role in pushing legislation that weakened the Drug Enforcement Agency's ability to crack down on opiate distributors.
Rep.Tom Marino has informed me that he is withdrawing his name from consideration as drug czar. Tom is a fine man and a great Congressman!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 17, 2017
Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle on Monday called on Trump to withdraw Marino's nomination to lead the Office of National Drug Policy after a The Washington Post/"60 Minutes" investigation revealed the congressman had been the driving force behind the legislation.
Trump told reporters on Monday that report was being looked in to and said he would "make a change" if he felt Marino's nomination would hinder the administration's efforts to curb opioid abuse. Trump is expected to officially declare a national emergency over the opioid crisis next week.
More than 33,000 people died in 2015 from prescription opioids, heroin and fentanyl, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.