MGM Resorts International on Tuesday disputed Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo’s revised timeline of the recent mass shooting in Las Vegas.
“This remains an ongoing investigation with a lot of moving parts,” spokeswoman Debra DeShong said in a statement, according to The Las Vegas Review-Journal.
“As evidenced by law enforcement briefings over the past week, many facts are still unverified and continue to change as events are under review,” she added.
“We cannot be certain about the most recent timeline that has been communicated publicly, and we believe what is currently being expressed may not be accurate.”
Some Twitter users on Wednesday speculated about what the company’s response reveals about its response to the shooting earlier this month.
Lombardo on Tuesday told the Review-Journal that he stands by the revised timeline, adding it “could change even more.”
The sheriff said Monday that police had learned security guard Jesus Campos was shot in the hallway before gunman Stephen Paddock began firing upon a nearby outdoor concert.
Police had previously said that Campos was shot after Paddock attacked the Route 91 Harvest festival from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.
Lombardo added that Paddock checked into the Mandalay Bay on Sept. 25, three days earlier than previously reported.
Paddock’s attack on Oct. 1 ultimately became the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history, killing at least 58 people and wounding nearly 500 others.
Campos ran down a hall using his radio and possibly a hallway phone to call for help during the carnage, reporting that he had been injured in the leg.
The revised timeline raises questions about whether better communication could have allowed police to respond more quickly and neutralize Paddock before his rampage.
Campos reported to hotel security dispatchers that he was hurt before Paddock fired upon the concert, but it remains unclear if the hotel relayed information about his shooting to police.