A man from Illinois drove nearly 2,000 miles to Las Vegas to install a cross for each victim of a recent mass shooting there.
Greg Zanis, a 66-year-old retired carpenter from the Chicago area, on Thursday installed 58 markers to the tragedy on the Las Vegas Strip.
The crosses were planted on a patch of grass near the iconic “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign, not far from last Sunday’s massacre.
At least 58 people were killed and at least 527 more were wounded when a gunman opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest country music festival.
Some Twitter users on Friday commented upon Zanis’s tribute to those killed in the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Passing The Las Vegas Sign Last Night and Seeing All Those Crosses Made My Heart Hurt. 😔❤️— Dee😘 (@Its_D3Y4_DO3) October 6, 2017
Zanis said the crosses, which are weight and bear a red heart, took him two days to cut and paint.
The former carpenter plans on keeping the display up for 40 days before donating them to the families of the victims.
Zanis has erected more than 20,000 crosses across the country since his father-in-law was killed 20 years ago.
“That just changed my life,” he said. “My first cross was for someone I loved. And when I put up these crosses here, I always think of my personal loss here too. Always.”
Zanis has made memorials to past mass shootings including the Columbine and Sandy Hook school shootings and last year’s attack on an Orlando nightclub.
Sunday’s bloodshed in Las Vegas ended when gunman Stephen Paddock killed himself before police stormed his hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.