A woman was walking through a LongHorn Steakhouse in Spotsylvania, Virginia, earlier this month when she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her foot.
Rachel Myrick told the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star that she initially thought she'd been stung by a bee.
“I had my fingers under my foot and that’s when I felt something moving."
She tried to keep moving, but the pain was so intense that she dropped her cellphone and her wallet.
“I had my fingers under my foot and that’s when I felt something moving,” she told the newspaper.
That's when she saw a roughly 8-inch-long copperhead attached to her sandal. Myrick was able to shake it off, but the snake had already bitten her toes twice.
“It hit the floor between my son, Dylan, and my boyfriend, Mike. Both of them instantaneously stepped on it, stepped on its head and killed it right in that foyer area," Myrick told the Washington, D.C. radio station WTOP.
She was taken to her nearby hospital and the restaurant's manager subsequently filed a report with the chain.
Myrick spent 11 days in the hospital and told the radio station the bite has "severely limited her mobility for the moment."
“I’m unable to do anything normal in my day-to-day life,” Myrick told WTOP. “My entire life is upside down at this point.”
Myrick told the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star that it will likely take her three months to fully recover.
In the meantime, a LongHorn Steakhouse spokesman said they are taking steps to ensure something like this doesn't happen again.