Mexico’s foreign ministry says that it is withdrawing its offer of aid to the victims of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.
The agency on Monday noted that last week’s powerful earthquake in Mexico had changed the government’s priorities there.
“Given these circumstances, the Mexican government will channel all available logistical support to serve the families and communities affected in the national territory,” Mexico’s foreign ministry said in a statement, according to Reuters.
Reuters reported that Mexico’s government on Aug. 28 formally offered aid to Texas after heavy rain from Harvey flooded large swathes of Houston.
The offer included beds, food, generators, mobile kitchens and doctors in the wake of Harvey, which hit the U.S. as a Category 4 storm late last month.
Mexico’s foreign ministry on Monday noted, however, that the U.S. embassy had taken nine days to respond to the offer, adding that “only certain logistical aid” was accepted.
A major earthquake struck southern Mexico last Thursday, killing at least 96 people and leaving about 2.5 million people needing aid.
Hurricane Katia then struck the Gulf state of Veracruz over the weekend, further taxing Mexico’s emergency services.
Mexico’s foreign ministry on Monday thanked Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) for sending messages of solidarity following the earthquake.
Reuters reported that Mexico’s volunteer Red Cross rushed food and supplies to storm supplies after Harvey despite government aid never arriving too.
Mexican media, meanwhile, noted that President Trump did not speak about the earthquake, nor did he publicly acknowledge Mexico’s aid offer.
The U.S. and Mexico have had at times strained ties following Trump’s inauguration as president last January.
Trump has repeatedly vowed to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and have the latter nation cover its costs.
The president has also criticized the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), a key trade agreement involving Mexico he has teased ending.