The State Department confirmed on Thursday that at least 16 U.S. government employees or their family members in Cuba have have required medical attention after the 'acoustic' attack in Cuba.
"We take this situation very seriously," State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert said Thursday. "We are trying to provide them the help, the medical help, the medical care and treatment that they need and the support that they deserve."
Earlier this month, Nauert spoke publicly about the incident that started back in 2016 on U.S. officials in Cuba. She said that the assailants used sonic devices to attack embassy members at different times and places. Nauret said that the members who were affected by the alleged attack were sent back to the U.S. to receive medical treatment for hearing damage.
"Some we asked to leave because their condition necessitated that, and they left – wanted to – mutually agreed upon – left that country because of the situation, because of the symptoms that they were experiencing, " Nauert said on Thursday. "There were others that have chosen to stay there and some of them are still there."
The Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement in August, denying the Department's allegations. They wrote that the decision to expel Cuban diplomats was "unjustified and unfounded."
"The Ministry categorically emphasizes that Cuba has never, nor would it ever, allow that the Cuban territory be used for any action against accredited diplomatic agents or their families, without exception. Moreover, it reiterates its willingness to cooperate in the clarification of this situation," the statement said.
The State Department still does not know what caused the health symptoms for the 16 Americans.
"This is unprecedented," Nauert said. "We have not seen this type of activity take place before."
Some Twitter users think Russia is involved in the attack.
Others just find the news disturbing.