At least 18 people were killed Sunday night when suspected Islamic extremists opened fire on customers at a Turkish restaurant in the West African nation of Burkina Faso.
Authorities said many of the victims were children who had been dining with their families around 9 p.m. at the Aziz Istanbul restaurant in downtown Ouagadougou.
Eight of those killed in the attack were citizens of Burkina Faso. Two Canadians, two Kuwaitis and citizens of France, Senegal, Nigeria, Lebanon and Turkey were among the victims, the country's Foreign Ministry said. By late Monday, three of the victims had still not been identified.
Witnesses described the scene, saying two young men wearing jeans and jackets drove up on motorcycles and began shooting at people inside the restaurant with Kalashnikovs.
"I heard a noise when they smashed a car with their motorbike and before I understood what happened they started shooting at the customers on the terrace," said Assane Guebre, who had been keeping an eye on customers' cars parked outside.
A standoff between the attackers and the country's special forces went on long into the night and finally ended Monday morning after nearly seven hours. Government spokesman Remy Danguinou told reporters two attackers were killed by authorities.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for what officials are calling a terror attack.
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres condemned the attack and offered his condolences to the families affected.
“The Secretary-General stresses that there can be no justification for such acts of indiscriminate violence,” his Deputy Spokesperson, Farhan Haq, said in a statement.
In 2016, Burkina Faso was hit with a similar attack that left 30 people dead, according to Al Jazeera.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.