The massive Florida sinkhole that engulfed two homes and a boat last month has led to two more condemned homes, Pasco County officials said Saturday. The Tampa Bay-area sinkhole has grown from roughly 235-feet wide to 260 feet.
"Thursday night going into Friday morning, we had about another 20 to 30 feet of loss in the banks of the sinkhole," Kevin Guthrie, assistant county administrator of public safety in Pasco, said.
Official said it remains unclear if the sinkhole is still active, but will seek the advice of geologists to draw a more absolute conclusion.
Authorities are expected to continue working near the site throughout the weekend, but noted that they will not rush through the process to ensure that their work is completed diligently and safely. According to WTSP-TV, officials' main priority is to remove debris from the sinkhole and decontaminate the water.
"If we have to slow down, we slow down," he said. "Speed is not of the essence here."
County officials speculated on what led to additional destabilization, but didn't offer any formal conclusions. They said it's possible that seismic vibrations from construction equipment could have been at fault.