Comedian Kathy Griffin says she’s been cleared in a Secret Service probe on whether she poses a threat following her photo with a decapitated head resembling President Trump.
Griffin was reacting to a weekly featured by The Associated Press debunking “fake news” that never happened.
AP was refuting claims that Griffin was facing jail time after walking around in New York City while wearing fake blood and a Trump Halloween mask.
“That didn’t happen,” the news service said, attributing the story to borntoberight.com and patriotsontheright.com.
Some Twitter users on Friday criticized Griffin, who provoked global outrage in May by posing with a fake picture of Trump’s severed head dripping blood.
Other people on the social media platform defended Griffin, who was posing for provocative photographer Tyler Shields.
In time, people will 'get it'. You are hysterical Kathy, thank you!— RockPaper (@RockPaper_Sista) July 29, 2017
The controversial image of Griffin released in May provoked overwhelming bipartisan condemnation for seemingly implying violence against Trump.
Griffin apologized for the shoot on Twitter shortly after outrage began, admitting she had gone “way too far” and “crossed the line.”
The comedian lost several scheduled performances over the brouhaha, as well as her annual slot co-hosting CNN’s New Year’s Eve broadcast with network anchor Anderson Cooper.
Griffin early last month held a press conference where she called Trump a “bully” before tearfully admitting the president and his supporters had “broke her.”
The Secret Service routinely investigates possible threats against the president, including those that involve entertainers like Griffin.