Former National Football League (NFL) player Aaron Hernandez’s home is back on the market after an agreement to sell it for $1.3 million collapse, according to ESPN.
Attorney George Leontire said Monday that the deal fell apart as the potential buyers “didn’t want to have a lot of publicity,” according to The Boston Globe.
Leontire declined to name the prospective buyers for the 7,100-square-foot home in North Attleborough, MA, which Hernandez reportedly purchased in 2012 for $1.3 million.
The Boston Herald also reported that a lawyer for Hernandez told a probate judge on Monday that his estate been bolstered by the discovery of a 401(k) plan.
The plan is reportedly valued at about $167,000 while another account totals $50,000, and a beneficiary for either has not been named.
Twitter users on Tuesday commented upon the process of selling the former New England Patriots tight end’s house.
For any potential buyer, inevitable publicity comes w/ $1.3m price tag on the house due to Aaron Hernandez. Also, the address is publicized.— Nicholas Spino (@ndspino) July 25, 2017
Hernandez’s estate is reportedly facing several wrongful death lawsuits, and the assets could be used to pay damages in those cases.
“Frankly, I told all these plaintiffs that we need to sit down and try to – whatever assets we come up with – try and find a way to deal with this, because with all these various actions pending, the estate’s got to pay a lawyer to defend against them, to settle them, whatever,” Leontire said, according to The Herald.
Hernandez was convicted of first-degree murder in 2015 for the killing of Odin Lloyd two years before.
Correction officers reportedly found Hernandez hanging in his jail cell in April in what was ultimately ruled a suicide.
Hernandez had been acquitted five days earlier for a double homicide in Boston in 2012 relating to the deaths of Safiro Furtado and Daniel de Abreu.