A government ethics watchdog on Monday announced that it will publicly release visitor records for President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, FL this autumn.
“The public deserves to know who is coming to meet with the president and his staff,” Noah Bookbinder, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), said in a statement.
“We are glad that as a result of this case, this information will become public meetings at his personal residences – but it needs to be public for meetings at the White House as well,” he added, referencing CREW’s lawsuit over the matter.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will begin turning over Mar-a-Lago visitor logs to CREW by Sept. 8, and the organization will then make them publicly available.
Some Twitter users on Monday about the new arrangement, which reportedly came amid ongoing litigation between CREW and DHS over the issue.
CREW said it had previously sued for visitor logs to Mar-a-Lago, Trump Tower and the White House alongside the National Security Archive and the Knight First Amendment Institute.
The lawsuit for White House records is ongoing, according to CREW, and DHS has claimed to have no records about visitors to Trump Tower.
The Trump administration announced last April that it would break with recent tradition and not voluntarily release visitor logs for the White House complex.
Former President Barack Obama began the practice in 2009 after a similar CREW lawsuit over his administration’s transparency.
Trump has repeatedly spent weekend at Mar-a-Lago since becoming president last January, and has hosted luminaries including Chinese President Xi Jinping there.