A 14-year-old girl from Lubbock, TX died recently after she was electrocuted while interacting with her cell phone during a bath, according to KCBD.
Madison Coe’s mother and grandmother said Monday that the teenager died after either plugging in her cell phone in the bathtub or grabbing the device while it was plugged in.
“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” Coe’s grandmother Donna O’Guinn said.
“And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened, she added of the incident, which happened at Coe’s father’s home in Lovington, NM.
Some Twitter users on Tuesday voiced sympathy for Coe, who was reportedly in the process of moving with her family before attending high school in Houston.
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would need a cell phone in the bath tub, just don't get it, RIP young lady— Respectpolice63 (@Respectpolice63) July 11, 2017
Coe had reportedly just graduated from eighth grade in Terra Vista Middle School in Frenship ISD in Wolfforth, TX before her death.
The teenager reportedly played basketball at Terra Vista, and she was also the No. 1 chair with her tuba in the school’s marching band.
O’Guinn said Coe’s family hopes others remain aware of their safety when plugging in electrical appliances near water.
“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else,” she said. “We need to be aware. We need to teach children that electricity and water do not mix.”
“It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult. We don’t want to lose anybody.”