The Minnesota cop who shot and killed Philando Castile during a 2016 traffic stop has taken a $48,500 buyout to leave his former police department, according to The Associated Press.
The Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony on Monday said Jeronimo Yanez is no longer with its police department.
“Since Officer Yanez was not convicted of a crime, he would have appeal and grievance rights if terminated,” it said in a statement.
“A reasonable voluntary separation agreement brings to a close one part of this horrible tragedy,” St. Anthony added, noting the deal “ends all employment rights” for Yanez.
“The City concluded this was the most thoughtful way to move forward and help the community-wide healing process proceed.”
Some Twitter users on Monday voiced outrage over Yanez’s reported payout as part of a separation agreement.
Philando Castile was murdered, despite posing absolutely no threat to his murderer, & the murderer not only gets off, he gets *paid*?— Emily L. Hauser (@emilylhauser) July 11, 2017
St. Anthony’s is reportedly released from lawsuits by its agreement with Yanez, who will also be paid for up to 600 hours of unused compensatory time.
Yanez has worked for the St. Anthony’s Police Department since November 2011, and his annual salary of Castile’s death in 2016 was more than $72,600 without overtime pay.
A Minnesota jury reportedly found Yanez not guilty of second-degree manslaughter last month, also acquitting him of two counts of intentional discharge of a firearm that endangers safety.
Yanez, who is Latino, shot and killed Castile, who is black, during a July 6, 2016 traffic stop in Minnesota.
Castile, a 32-year-old elementary school cafeteria worker, had told Yanez he was armed but had a permit for the gun he possessed.
Yanez’s fatal shooting of Castile sparked national attention after the latter’s girlfriend livestreamed the tragedy on Facebook.