Golf star Tiger Woods says he is receiving “professional help” for his struggles with medications after he was charged with driving under the influence last month.
“I’m currently receiving professional help to manage my medications and the ways that I deal with back pain and a sleep disorder,” he said Monday in a statement.
“I want to thank everyone for the amazing outpouring of support and understanding especially the fans and players on tour.”
Twitter users on Monday wished the professional golfer luck as he starts the road to recovery after May’s incident.
The Associated Press reported last week that Woods’ arraignment on the DUI charge had been delayed until August.
Court documents filed in West Palm Beach, FL reportedly showed the presiding judge canceled the original July 5 hearing and reset it for Aug. 9 instead. No details were provided for the change.
Woods was charged with DUI around 2 a.m. the morning of May 29 after police in Jupiter, FL found him sleeping behind the wheel of his Mercedes-Benz.
The athlete reportedly told officers that he had a reaction to several prescription drugs, including Vicodin and Xanax, after breath tests showed no alcohol in Woods’ system.
Woods could purportedly qualify for a diversion program in which the DUI charge is reduced to reckless driving, which results in fines, probation and taking a DUI course as possible penalties.
The golfer has won 14 major championships, including four Masters Tournament wins, three U.S. Open victories and four Professional Golfing Association (PGA) Championships.