UPDATE 7:51 a.m. EST: Iran's foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, on Thursday rejected President Trump's condolences for the deadly twin attacks in Tehran this week.
In a White House statement, Trump said he prayed for Iran, but then added that "states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote."
Zarif then tweeted this in response to Trump: "Repugnant White House statement .... Iranian people reject such U.S. claims of friendship."
Repugnant WH statement & Senate sanctions as Iranians counter terror backed by US clients.Iranian people reject such US claims of friendship— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) June 8, 2017
Zarif's tweet has been retweeted more than 1.2K times since posted.
UPDATE June 8, 7:19 a.m.: The attackers were Iranians who previously joined ISIS.
WATCH | Gunmen and suicide bombers struck in Tehran.
UPDATE 10:54 a.m. EST: Iran's revolutionary guards blamed Saudi Arabia for the attacks.
UPDATE 7:36 a.m. EST:
The attacks on the Iranian parliament and Ayatollah Khomeini's mausoleum in the Iranian capital of Tehran have killed at least 12 people and injured more.
The attack on the building, which had been occupied by the gunmen, appears to be over.
ORIGINAL STORY: Gunmen and suicide bombers carried out coordinated attacks on the Iranian parliament building and the tomb of Iranian Revolution leader Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran, killing several people, The Guardian reported. ISIS has claimed responsibility.
Tasnim news agency said unconfirmed sources in Tehran were reporting that seven people, including a guard, were killed when four gunmen burst into the complex with rifles and pistols. One of the gunmen blew himself up on the fourth floor, reported the semi-official ISNA news agency.
It remains unclear exactly how the gunmen were able to bypass security checkpoints at the parliament building.
Witnesses said the attackers shot down from the fourth floor of the complex at people on the street below.
Approximately a half hour later, three to four people entered the tomb of Ruhollah Khomeini from its western entrance and began shooting. Again, one of the attackers blew himself up. A security guard was killed, a gardener was killed, and at least four people injured.
Note to Potus: condemnation of terrorism cannot be selective if it is to have meaning. must condemn it in Tehran as well as in Europe— Richard N. Haass (@RichardHaass) June 7, 2017
People are interested to see what President Trump's reaction will be to the news.
Authorities have announced they are dismantling a bomb at the mausoleum.
They also announced that they had foiled a potential third attack and asked the citizens of Tehran to avoid using public transit for the time being.
The Islamic State has claimed credit for the attacks via the group's Amaq news agency.
From London to now Tehran it is the impending collapse of their sick "caliphate" that is triggering ISIS attacks.— Paul Mason (@paulmasonnews) June 7, 2017
Some online are interpreting ISIS' activity as indications that it's struggling.