About Our People Legal Stuff Careers
Security forces inspect the site of a suicide attack where German Embassy is located in Kabul, Afghanistan, Wednesday, May 31, 2017. A massive explosion rocked a highly secure diplomatic area of Kabul on Wednesday morning, causing casualties and sending a huge plume of smoke over the Afghan capital. (AP Photos/Rahmat Gul)

A suicide blast in Kabul's diplomatic area killed at least 90 and wounded 11 US citizens


Taliban threatens hostages if the Afghanistan government follows through with executions

WATCH | A suicide bomber struck Wednesday in one of the deadliest attacks on the Afghan capital in recent years.

UPDATE 4:05 p.m. EST:  SABER ROCK is a new Circa documentary that profiles an Afghan interpreter who became an American hero. Rock's sister was among the wounded in the Kabul bombing. She has lacerations on her head, back, and legs. She is stable and her wounds are not life-threatening, according to the family. 

UPDATE 2:43 p.m. EST:

Eleven U.S. citizens were wounded in the Kabul suicide bombing, Fox News reported. All 11 wounded U.S. citizens are contract personnel.

Fox News also reported that the death toll had risen to at least 90.

UPDATE 2:24 p.m. EST: 

At least 80 were killed in the blast and 460 injured, The Washington Post reported.

UPDATE 8:31 a.m. EST:

ISIS' Al Hamaq website has claimed responsibility for the bombing in Kabul's diplomatic area, saying that the blast was the result of a vehicle-based improvised explosive device. 

UPDATE 8:27 a.m. EST:

According to security officials, the bomb that detonated in Kabul on Wednesday was carried in a sewage truck. 

"For the last 11 years, I have always thought those GD water trucks and sewage trucks would be a ‘good’ delivery method. They can carry the weight evenly and can get access by looking innocuous with a ‘justification’ to be in route somewhere,” said a U.S. security official in the region. 

LOOK | Photos from the scene of a bombing in Kabul on Wednesday

UPDATE 7:25 a.m. EST:

At least 80 people were killed and 300 injured in the suicide bombing, CNN reported. German embassy officials were among the injured, according to the German foreign minister.

No group has stepped forward to claim responsibility. The Taliban denied involvement.

ORIGINAL STORY:  A huge blast in the Afghan capital of Kabul early Wednesday flattened an extensive area in the city's diplomatic quarters, leaving bodies strewn across the road amidst charred vehicles, according to U.S. security forces in the region and photographs obtained by Circa. 

More than 60 people have been killed and 200 wounded when a suicide bomber detonated a water tanker truck packed with explosives near the German and British embassies in the Wazir Akbar Khan area of the Afghan capital, according to U.S. and Afghan security officials. 

"The power of the device and shock wave would likely indicate the signature of uniquely condensed and powerful explosives," said a U.S. security official who was several miles from the blast. The water tanker was packed with more than 3,000 pounds of explosives, according to early reports. 

The blast occurred at roughly 8:30 a.m., roughly 400 meters from the U.S. Embassy, the sources said. Vehicles in the photos obtained by Circa appear to be bent inward from the impact of the blast and bloodied bodies lay in the street. Residents miles away were rocked by the blast, which some likened to an earthquake.  

Afghanistan's Ministry of Public Health expects the death toll to rise, and the area has been completely cordoned off by Afghan National Security Forces.

On May 29, the German Embassy received reports of a possible suicide vehicle attack and the embassy was locked down, according to Afghan and U.S. security officials. U.S. and Afghan officials fear that more bomb attacks from militant groups, like the Taliban or ISIS, are  imminent in the capital and are warning personnel in the region to remain vigilant. 

Afghan security forces located an Improvised Explosive Device, or IED, before the bombing at around 8:15 a.m., according to U.S. security officials who spoke with Circa. However, the IED "may have been a ruse" to keep Afghan law enforcement busy while the other vehicle filled with the explosives made its way into the area and detonated roughly 15 minutes later, the U.S. security officials said. 

Photos circulating on Twitter and other social media sites show plumes of black smoke billowing up from the bomb blast from miles away. 

This story is developing. 

Follow Sara A. Carter on Twitter @SaraCarterDC 

Read Comments
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark