The Trump administration is considering expanding its airplane laptop ban, Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly told "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace.
The original ban that was announced in March prevents travelers from bringing laptops, tablets and other devices on board in their carry-ons. That means passengers traveling from 10 airports in eight Muslim-majority countries have to check all electronics larger than a smartphone. The ban was put in place because of concerns over terrorist attacks.
When pressed about whether he was considering expanding that ban to include laptops on all international flights into and out of the U.S. Kelly responded, "I might."
Kelly added that there are "numerous threats against aviation."
“That’s really the thing that they’re obsessed with, the terrorists: the idea of knocking down an airplane in flight, particularly if it’s a U.S. carrier, particularly if it’s full of mostly U.S. folks,” Kelly said on "Fox News Sunday."
Earlier this month, reports suggested that the Trump administration was considering broadening the ban to include planes from the European Union.
Currently, the ban only applies to U.S.-bound flights from airports in Amman, Jordan; Kuwait City, Kuwait; Cairo; Istanbul; Jeddah and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Casablanca, Morocco; Doha, Qatar; and Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.
Kelly added that the U.S. wants “to raise the bar for, generally speaking, aviation security much higher than it is now, and there’s new technologies down the road, not too far down the road, that we’ll rely on. But it is a real sophisticated threat, and I’ll reserve making that decision until we see where it’s going.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.