Fox News retracted a May 16 story on the investigation into the murder of late DNC staffer Seth Rich, who was killed last summer in what police have said was a botched robbery.
"The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting. Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed," Fox said in a statement on Tuesday.
Rich, 27, was shot near his home in the Bloomingdale neighborhood in Washington, D.C. Theories about his murder surfaced after a D.C. Fox affiliate published a report quoting an investigator who said he had information suggesting Rich had leaked data to WikiLeaks.
Following the report, Rich's family released a statement condemning the conspiracies surrounding Rich's death, saying, "We are a family committed to the facts, not fake evidence that surfaces every few months to fill the void and distract."
Fox personality Sean Hannity was a large proponent of what has been dubbed a conspiracy theory, posting about potential theories on social media and even going so far as to call for a Congressional investigation into Rich's murder.
Even after Fox issued its retraction, Hannity pushed back, going on his radio show and saying, "And all you in the liberal media, I am not Fox.com or FoxNews.com -- I retracted nothing."
Hannity posted frequently about the theories earlier this week.