WATCH | Hasan Minhaj's complete remarks at the 2017 White House correspondents' dinner
President Donald Trump didn't attend Saturday night's White House Correspondents' Association dinner, but that didn't stop "Daily Show" comedian Hasan Minhaj from addressing "the elephant not in the room."
Minhaj said he was asked not to go after the president, but there were plenty of jokes made at the expense of Trump, his administration and the media.
Here are some of Minhaj's most memorable lines:
- "He tweets at 3:00 a.m. sober. Who is tweeting at 3:00 a.m. sober? Donald Trump because it's 10:00 a.m. in Russia. Those are business hours."
- “You guys have to be more perfect now more than ever. Because you are how the president gets his news. Not from advisers, not from experts, not from intelligence agencies. You guys. So that’s why you gotta be on your A game. You gotta be twice as good. You can’t make any mistakes. Because when one of you messes up, he blames your entire group. And now you know what it feels like to be a minority.”
- "Every time Trump goes golfing, the headline should read, 'Trump golfing. Apocalypse delayed. Take the W.' "
- "Even if you guys groan, I've already hired Kellyanne Conway. She's gonna go on TV Monday and tell everyone I 'killed.' It really doesn't matter."
- "Frederick Douglass isn't here, and that's because. He's dead. Someone please tell the President!"
- “[Sean Spicer] has been doing PR since 1999. He has been doing this job for 18 years. And somehow, after 18 years, his go-to move when you ask him a tough question is denying the Holocaust. That is insane! How many people do you know that can turn a press briefing into a full-on Mel Gibson traffic stop?”
- "This event is about celebrating the First Amendment and free speech. Free speech is the foundation of an open and liberal democracy from college campuses to the White House. Only in America can a first generation Indian American Muslim kid get on this stage and make fun of the President."