It was like her legs didn't work at all.
A Colorado dog owner is cautioning marijuana users after her dog Chance became ill from eating leftover pot.
Patty Moore told CBS affiliate KCNC she called the veterinarian after noticing her golden retriever Chance couldn't stand to eat.
The veterinarian immediately recognized the 10-year-old dog's symptoms and told Moore the dog had ingested marijuana.
“We really thought there was something seriously wrong with her,” Moore told KCNC.
Moore said she had taken Chance on a walk in Denver's Highlands neighborhood just a few days after the city hosted a pro-marijuana celebration on April 20. She suspects that's where Chance licked or ate some type of THC-laced edible.
Dr. Allison Jenkins of Highlands Animal Clinic in Denver told KCNC that when a dog ingests marijuana, it could affect the pet for several days.
If it's caught early enough, a veterinarian can try to induce vomiting before the drug is fully digested. Otherwise, the only thing dog owners can do is provide support for their pet, Jenkins said.
Since weed was legalized in Colorado in 2012, the VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital notes that it's seen a "200 percent increase in marijuana toxicity cases" called into the Pet Poison Helpline.
"Physical signs [of marijuana intoxication in a pet] include low or elevated heart rate and blood pressure," the hospital's website explains. "Lethargy, drop in body temperature and respiratory depression occur. Fortunately, these side effects are usually short-lived but they can still be dangerous and make the pet quite miserable."