Rescue workers saved hundreds of migrants stranded off the coast of Libya during Easter weekend.
The Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS) has conducted 24-hours of continuous rescue operations in an attempt to save as many as 1,800 migrants.
MOAS told CNN in a statement that they "believe there have been deaths." However, it is still unclear how many people have drowned.
Crews have taken 453 people to safety, but as the vessel reached its maximum capacity, they were forced to suspend the operation until morning.
"Nobody has ever seen anything like what we are witnessing this weekend," the organization's founder, Christopher Catrambone, said in a statement.
The Italian NGO Sea Eye and the German charityJugend Rettet also helped in the rescue attempt, according to the BBC.
Imagine to carry a 8 year old boy's lifeless body into your house on Easter Sunday. I will never forget this day.— Chris Catrambone (@cpcatrambone) April 16, 2017
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a statement earlier this week that nearly 32,000 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017 through April 9, "with over 80 percent arriving in Italy and the rest in Spain and Greece." Another 559 died trying to reach their intended destination.