UPDATE April 15 at 7:58 a.m. EST: The number of militants killed in an attack by the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the U.S. military has risen to 94, an Afghan official said Saturday.
Ataullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor in Nangarhar, said the number of Islamic State group dead was up from the 36 reported a day earlier.
"Fortunately there is no report of civilians being killed in the attack," Khogyani said.
UPDATE at 7:58 a.m. EST: The Pentagon released first video of the "Mother of All Bombs" drop on Afghanistan.
WATCH | Sara Carter has the latest on the "Mother of All Bombs" dropped in Afghanistan this afternoon.
UPDATE April 14 at 6:02a.m. EST: US Forces Commander Gen. John W. Nicholson in a military briefing in Kabul Friday said Afghan and U.S. troops are back on the ground in eastern Afghanistan looking at the damage from the bomb. Nicholson said right now they haven't seen any civilian casualties on the ground.
Afghan officials have reported at least 30 ISIS fighters were killed as a result of the "mother of all bombs" the U.S. dropped less than 24 hours ago.
UPDATE 3:39 p.m. EST:
President Trump declined to say if he signed off on the use of the "mother of all bombs" on Afghanistan on Thursday, but said he was "very very proud of the people."
"Really another successful job. We're very very proud of our military," he said.
When pressed on whether he authorized it or not, he replied, "everybody knows exactly what happened, so...what I do is authorize by military."
He continued, "We have given them total authorization."
UPDATE 3:27 p.m. EST:
CIA Director Mike Pompeo spoke at the Center for Strategic and International Studies on Thursday following the dropping of the "Mother of All Bombs" on ISIS militants in Afghanistan.
"The CIA is doing exactly what they're supposed to do," Pompeo said, referring to the bombing.
UPDATE 2:57 p.m. EST: President Trump is "proud" of the military.
UPDATE 1:25 p.m. EST:
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer acknowledged the bomb dropping in his daily press briefing.
"The United States takes the fight against ISIS very seriously," Spicer said.
WATCH | This file footage shows a 2003 test of the "Mother of All Bombs."
UPDATE 1:15 p.m. EST:
A U.S. Green Beret was killed fighting ISIS in the same region of Afghanistan the bomb was dropped in just days earlier, Fox News reported, citing a defense official.
UPDATE 1:03 p.m. EST:
Afghanistan is one of seven countries the U.S. bombs regularly as part of the war on terror, alongside Syria, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen, Quartz reports.
Decision to use the bomb had been discussed for months, DOD spox said. The Bomb was stored in country and lifted over target by MC-130— Tara Copp (@TaraCopp) April 13, 2017
The decision to use the bomb had reportedly been discussed for months.
The bomb contains 11 tons of the explosive TNT.
Military release on MOAB strike pic.twitter.com/gvWwCKmUbH— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) April 13, 2017
UPDATE 12:56 p.m. EST: Here's a military press release on the bomb dropping.
The release said the bomb was the "right munition" to reduce ISIS' defenses, including IEDs, bunkers and tunnels.
"U.S. forces took every precaution to avoid civilian casualties with this strike," the release read.
ORIGINAL STORY: The U.S. military has dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan, CNN reported, citing military officials with "direct knowledge" of the operation.
The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb, also known as the "Mother of All Bombs," targeted ISIS caves, Stars and Stripes reported, citing the Department of Defense.
This marks the first time this 21,000-pound bomb has been used in the battlefield, CNN reported. It was developed during the Iraq War but never used.
The bombing targeted militants and tunnels in the Achin district of Nangarhar province.
The bomb was dropped at 7 p.m. local time on Thursday, and the U.S. military is in the process of assessing the damage.