Shanmukha Pranay Rajeev Jerripothula said they bought the bag from a Giant Food in Landover Friday night. When his wife Sri Sindhusha Boddapati opened the bag on Monday, she noticed "something inside the bag crawling."
WATCH | Boddapati was able to capture the scorpion in a water bottle. Here's the video proof.
Jerripothula said he contacted the Giant and asked it to stop selling the spinach. The store pulled the spinach brand six hours later, NBC Washington reports.
In a statement to WJLA, Giant Food of Landover said, "Customer satisfaction is our highest priority. We regret any inconvenience to our customer. We take the quality of our products very seriously and we are following up with the supplier to take every step to ensure this isolated incident does not occur in the future."
It's far from the only case of a dead animal being found in prepackaged food in recent days. On Saturday, Fresh Express announced a recall after a decomposing bat was found in a bag of prepackaged salad.
Similarly, a New York City woman sued Mead Johnson of selling baby formula that contained dead insects, WFMY reported.