ADVERTISEMENT
About Our People Legal Stuff
529e0b30-33c7-418c-9de1-42c85d6ad1e1-large16x9_hotel1.jpg

A child died and 11 others were hospitalized following a carbon monoxide leak at a hotel

0

A hospital official tells WSBT 22 one of six children found unconscious in the pool area of the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles has died. In all, 12 people were taken to area hospitals.

This happened around 10 a.m. Saturday. Capt. Don Wise with Niles City Fire told a WSBT 22 reporter at the scene a "high level" of carbon monoxide was found in the pool area of the hotel and lower levels leaked into other parts of the hotel.

An inspection by a mechanical engineer showed the cause was a malfunction in the pool heater, according to Niles Fire.

Eight people were taken to Memorial Hospital in South Bend, Indiana and four were taken to Lakeland Hospital in Niles. Those taken included the six kids, plus staff and first responders who were exposed to the gas.


One of the kids taken to Lakeland was dead on arrival, according to a hospital spokeswoman. The other three are expected to make a full recovery.

No word on the conditions of the eight patients sent to Memorial.

The hotel is closed and Wise says it is unlikely to re-open Saturday. A mechanical engineer is being contacted to determine the source of the leak.

(WSBT 22 contributed to this report)

Comments
Read Comments
Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark