With 20 million people facing starvation, Africa is in the midst of its worst hunger crisis in decades, World Food Program spokesman David Orr said Thursday.
President Trump's proposed budget would slash $10 billion in foreign aid, which Orr said would be disastrous.
"Any cuts at this time are extremely significant, not just for us but for any U.N. agencies and any aid organization," Orr said. The U.N. runs the WFP.
Last year, the U.S. contributed more than $2 billion to foreign aid, which constituted about a quarter of WFP's entire budget. But U.N. operations in South Sudan, Somalia, Yemen and Nigeria will require $5.6 billion alone.
The more dramatic cuts in any budgets, the more the number of debts, the more suffering there is going to be.
The organization needs at least $4.4 billion by the end of March to prevent a catastrophe, Orr said. So far, it has received $90 million.
Orr said war and famine in the region are two of the key factors sparking the need for aid.
WATCH | A drought has left millions of Ethiopians in need of food, water and medical care. Here's more on how you can help.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
WATCH | For more news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.