ADVERTISEMENT
About Our People Legal Stuff
AP_605433600053.jpg

A New York Jewish center reopened after receiving its second bomb threat in one week

0

A Jewish community center in Rochester, New York, reopened Sunday afternoon, hours after receiving its second bomb threat in less than a week. 

When the bomb threat came in, the Louis S. Wolk Jewish Community Center was hosting members of the community who had lost power, Executive Director Arnie Sohinki told CNN.

Everyone inside was evacuated Sunday morning and the center reopened after authorities searched the premises and deemed it all-clear.

Sunday's bomb threat is just the latest in a series of similar incidents across the United States and Canada since the beginning of January. 

CNN reports that the Louis S. Wolk JCC previously received a bomb threat on Tuesday, March 7. A center in Syracuse and the Anti-Defamation League's New York headquarters received threats that day as well.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a statement Sunday saying he is "profoundly disturbed and disgusted" by the threats against the Jewish community in New York. 

"As New Yorkers, we will not be intimidated and we will not stand by silently as some seek to sow hate and division," Cuomo said in a statement. "New York is one family, and an attack on one is an attack on all." 

Cuomo also called for New York State Police to work with federal and local law enforcement to investigate the incident.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) called the bomb threats "despicable," adding that those responsible must be brought to justice. 

Comments
Read Comments
Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark