WATCH | The press conference unveiling the revised travel ban.
A revised version of President Donald Trump’s controversial immigration executive order was announce Monday morning. The new executive order institutes a 90-day suspension of entry for people from Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen unless they already hold a valid U.S. visa. Those who had their visas revoked as a result of the original executive order are still allowed to travel to the U.S. The new order also suspends the refugee program for 120 days. Additionally, it orders the biometric entry-exit system to be implemented in an expedited manner. See the order here.
The White House released a photograph of Trump signing the executive order earlier this morning. This order revokes the previous immigration executive order, "Sec. 13. Revocation. Executive Order 13769 of January 27, 2017, is revoked as of the effective date of this order."
Trump signed the order without the press present.
This new executive order will take effect on March 16th at 12:01 am, and is designed to not have the same problems that plagued the original order. Unlike the previous order this one does not have exceptions for religious minorities, does not prevent Iraqis from obtaining visas, and doesn’t specifically target refugees from Syria. These contentions lead to the order being referred to as a Muslim ban, something the administration pushed back against.
See the fact sheet on the executive order here.
Details emerging about the new Trump travel ban suggest the religious clause, seen as favouring Christian refugees over Muslims, has gone— Paul Danahar (@BBCDanahar) March 6, 2017
The administration says the order is necessary because the FBI is currently investigating 300 people who had been admitted to the US through the refugee program as a part of their counter terrorism investigations.
Iraq was dropped from the order because according to a senior Department of Homeland Security official, “The government of Iraq... agreed to enhance some of their travel documentation capabilities. Bringing some of their travel documents up to standards that are much desired on behalf of the United States government, the information sharing using some of the data that they have on their own nationals and perhaps almost equally important... Iraq has agreed to the timely return and repatriation of its nationals who are subject to final orders of removal.”
The administration worked to brief the press and Capitol Hill before signing the order, Secretary of Homeland Security, John Kelly, told reporters that due to this "there should be no surprises."
After the first order was signed there was panic as law enforcement and lawmakers scrambled to figure out the scope of the order.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called the order, "a vital method for strengthening our national security."
Tillerson sought to ease international concerns about the order, "to our allies and partners around the world please understand this order is part of our ongoing efforts to eliminate vulnerabilities that radical Islamist terrorist can and will exploit for destructive ends," the Secretary of State told reporters.
Democrats pushed back against the new executive order.
The ACLU also issued a statement condemning the new executive order, saying, "The Trump administration has conceded that its original Muslim ban was indefensible. Unfortunately, it has replaced it with a scaled-back version that shares the same fatal flaws. The only way to actually fix the Muslim ban is not to have a Muslim ban. Instead, President Trump has recommitted himself to religious discrimination."
See the administration's answers to 37 questions about the ban here.
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-WI) applauded the new order saying in a statement, “This revised executive order advances our shared goal of protecting the homeland. I commend the administration and Secretary Kelly in particular for their hard work on this measure to improve our vetting standards. We will continue to work with President Trump to keep our country safe.”
However, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the new ban would not replace the one that has been suspended by the courts, but would exist alongside it in a "dual track" system.
WATCH | For more news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.