ADVERTISEMENT
About Our People Legal Stuff
AP_17057617922881.jpg

A 25-year-old man was named as a suspect in the Mardi Gras parade crash that injured 28

0

UPDATE Feb. 26 at 3:42 p.m.:

The Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office has named 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto as a suspect in connection with the Mardi Gras parade crash that injured 28 people Saturday night. 

Authorities told ABC News he faces charges of first-degree negligent vehicular injuring; hit-and-run driving causing serious injury; and reckless operation of a vehicle.

UPDATE Feb. 26 at 10:00 a.m.:

The man suspected of driving into a Mardi Gras crowd in New Orleans and injuring 28 people on Saturday is being investigated for driving while intoxicated, police said.

New Orleans Police Chief Michael Harrison was asked if terrorism was suspected. He did not specify, but said the case looked like DWI was to blame. 

"We suspect that the subject was highly intoxicated," Harrison said Saturday night.

Here's a look at the scene of the crash. 

UPDATE 9:40 p.m.: New Orleans officials have increased the number of victims to 28. Twenty-one of them have been hospitalized, the Associated Press reported. Seven declined to be hospitalized.

UPDATE 9:27 p.m.: One man is in custody after he reportedly plowed through a crowd with a vehicle at a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans on Saturday night while intoxicated, CNN reported. Officials said at least 21 people are injured, five of them seriously injured.

Police Chief Michael Harrison said it appeared that the suspect was highly intoxicated while he drove a pickup truck that hit two cars before running into the crowd. He said police do not suspect terrorism.


Those injured range in age from 3 to 30.

Original story

A typically jubilant event turned awry Saturday night after a vehicle plowed into a crowd on the streets of New Orleans for a Mardi Gras parade, Buzzfeed reported. About a dozen people are critically injured.

Officials said the crash was reported about 7 p.m. local time at the intersection of Orleans and Carrollton Avenues. 

A reporter for local Fox station WVUE recorded a police officer detaining a young man.

New Orleans Police Department spokeswoman Ambria Washington said that "initial reports show so far that about a dozen people are in critical condition." She added that the number could increase as the investigation continues.


One woman told the New Orleans Advocate that a silver truck past her just feet away as she was talking through the intersection. 

Carrie Kinsella said, "I felt a rush it was so fast."


Another witness, 20-year-old Kourtney McKinnis told the Advocate that the driver appeared unaware of what he had just done.

"He was just kind of out of it," she said.


Comments
Read Comments
Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark