A teenager who dressed as a clown and threatened a pregnant woman with an axe was sentenced to six months in prison.
Michael March, 18, is believed to be the first person arrested in the U.K. after growing numbers of people dressed as clowns to harass and prank innocent victims.
He banged an axe on the ground to scare a couple walking past him in South Shields last year.
Brandishing an axe and threatening people in the street is serious, whatever the context.
A pregnant woman reportedly told police March had chased her with an axe. Police later found an axe and a clown mask in his backpack.
"I'm sorry. I was not going to hurt her," March told police.
While the popularity of pranks involving scary clown masks has declined in recent months, it ran rampant across the Western world for months.
- Americans are more afraid of clowns than climate change, terrorism and death
- Target pulled some of its creepy clown masks just weeks before Halloween
- Police in Massachusetts will charge a father who followed a school bus in a clown mask
- An Ohio school district closed today after a clown threatened to attack students
- A clown who stabbed a teenager in Sweden is still on the loose
WATCH | For more news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.