About Our People Legal Stuff Careers
Pesticide (MGN)
Pesticide (MGN)

4 kids were killed when water mixed with a pesticide and made a toxic gas


Four children aged 7 to 17 died in Amarillo, Texas on Monday after someone sprayed water on a pesticide treatment.

The water mixed with aluminum phosphide that had been applied under the mobile home, creating toxic phosphine gas, CNN reports

The incident, which occurred at 5 a.m. Monday, was ruled an accident. At least five other people were hospitalized. The dead children were identified as Felipe Balderas, 7, Yasmeen Balderas, 17, Josue Balderas, 11, and Johnnie Balderas, 9, KAMR reports.

About the pesticide

Aluminium phosphide is listed under the EPA's Toxicity Category I, its most dangerous category. While an effective insect and rodent killer, it can be very dangerous if inhaled.

It's used in pesticides like Fumitoxin, Weevil-Cide and Fastphos, according to a Cornell University report. Symptoms of aluminum phosphide poisoning range from nausea, stomach pain and chest tightness to trouble breathing, diarrhea and death. 

The Amarillo Fire Department said the pesticide was used by an unlicensed dealer.

Trump announced the new date for his 'major news conference' about his business ties

WATCH  | For more news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.

Read Comments
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark